1 absolutely necessary; vitally necessary; "essential tools and materials"; "funds essential to the completion of the project"; "an indispensable worker" [syn: indispensable]
2 basic and fundamental; "the essential feature" [ant: inessential]
3 of the greatest importance; "the all-important subject of disarmament"; "crucial information"; "in chess cool nerves are of the essence" [syn: all-important(a), all important(p), crucial, of the essence(p)]
4 being or relating to or containing the essence of a plant etc; "essential oil"
5 applying to essential legal principles and rules of right; "substantive law" [syn: substantive] [ant: adjective]
6 absolutely required and not to be used up or sacrificed n : anything indispensable; "food and shelter are necessities of life"; "the essentials of the good life"; "allow farmers to buy their requirements under favorable conditions"; "a place where the requisites of water fuel and fodder can be obtained" [syn: necessity, requirement, requisite, necessary] [ant: inessential]
EtymologyAdjectival derivation of essentia.
- /ɪˈsɛn.tʃəl/, I"sEn.tS@l/
of high importance
in basic form
Series of Awesome features created by NLCF.
Bold text Essential or essentials can refer to:
- An essential property, which defines an entity as being a particular type of entity. See also essentialism, the philosophical view that an entity must have certain characteristics in order to belong to a certain defined group, and its counterpart, non-essentialism.
- The Essentials are a Canadian a cappella group
- The Essential series of compilation albums released by Sony BMG
- Either of two companies named Essential Records.
- Essential, an album by the Divinyls.
- Essential, an album by Amanda Lear.
- Essentials, an album by The Cars.
- Essentials, an album by Travis Tritt.
- The Essentials of Fire Fighting, a firefighter training manual published by the International Fire Service Training Association and Fire Protection Publications
- The Essential line of reprints from Marvel Comics.
- "What is essential is invisible to the eye." from The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery
essential in Japanese: エッセンシャル
ab ovo, austere, axiom, bare, bare necessities, basal, basic, basilar, bedrock, bench mark, brass tacks, call for, called for, capital, cardinal, cardinal point, center, central, chaste, chief, chief thing, climax, condition, congenital, connate, constituent, constitutional, constitutive, core, cornerstone, crisis, critical point, crux, deep-seated, demand, demand for, desideration, desideratum, element, elemental, elementary, elixir, essence, essential facts, essential matter, essentials, flower, focal, focus, foremost, fundamental, gist, gravamen, great point, gut, heart, high point, homely, homespun, homogeneous, hypostasis, imperative, important, important thing, inborn, inbred, indicated, indispensable, indivisible, innate, inner essence, intrinsic, irreducible, irreductible, irreplaceable, issue, kernel, key, keystone, landmark, leading, life-and-death, life-or-death, main, main point, main thing, marrow, material, material point, meat, mere, milestone, monolithic, must, must item, necessaries, necessary, necessities, necessitous, necessity, need, need for, needed, needful, nub, nucleus, nuts and bolts, occasion, of a piece, of the essence, of vital importance, original, part and parcel, pith, pivot, plain, postulate, prerequirement, prerequisite, primal, primary, prime, primitive, principal, principle, pure, pure and simple, quid, quiddity, quintessence, quintessential, radical, real issue, required, requirement, requisite, requisition, right-hand, rudiment, rudimentary, salient point, sap, severe, simon-pure, simple, sine qua non, single, soul, spare, spirit, stark, stuff, substance, substantial, substantive, substantive point, the bottom line, the data, the details, the dope, the facts, the information, the necessary, the needful, the nitty-gritty, the particulars, the picture, the point, the scoop, the score, the specifics, the whole story, turning point, unadorned, uncluttered, underlying, undifferenced, undifferentiated, unforgoable, uniform, vital, want, wanted